Re: cygwin on Mac: files in Virtual PC "shared folder"

At 05:54 AM 4/14/2005, you wrote:
>Yes, I did notice the strange character in the cygcheck drive listing output.  Is the information from GetVolumeInformation used by cygwin to determine how to treat the volume?  (Ie is it possible that the nonsense output is the root of the problem?)

Not specifically no but I think it indicates that the information that's
being passed along by the VPC shared folder code is not doing all it should.
Or maybe it's just a failing on the Mac side.  Dunno.

>I've had a little look in the microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc Usenet group and have seen a few reports of other people having problems with the shared folder facility with various Windows programs (MS Project 2003 Pro and MS Money).  Very little detail is given though and the problems appear to remain unsolved.

OK, that would substantiate my assertion, at least to some degree.

>I did try sharing the Mac files to cygwin in VPC using the Samba server included in Mac OS X and this did actually work, after I figured out multiple problems:
>
>1) VPC needs to be run in "Virtual Switch" networking mode, so the Mac and PC have different IP addresses and can see each other.  I don't know (although I'd like to!) whether an active Ethernet connection is required for VPC and the Mac to talk and if the traffic actually goes out onto physical Ethernet.

If you have one, then yes.  If not, usually a simple loopback will
suffice.  Either way, it's all pretty transparent (or is with VMWare).

>2) The '\' character used in Windows share names is an escape character to bash -- so the example "mount \\pollux\home\joe\data /data" in the cygwin manual (example 3.10) is misleading.  For me, that style of example gives error messages about "/data", not the Windows share (actually the cause of the problem), which doesn't help.  I do see the mentions in manual around that point about using the Windows command shell (presumably with the cygwin bin in the PATH?) and also about using '/' rather than '\', but it doesn't seem very clear to me -- perhaps the example could be changed to "mount '\\pollux\home\joe\data' /data"?

Others have covered this already so I won't repeat what's been said
already.

>3) I did manage to mount the share by enclosing the share name in single quotes as above, but then access to the mount point with ls, cd etc failed with "invalid request code" - sigh.  Finally I gave up on cygwin "mount" and instead mounted the share as F: using right-click and "map drive" in Windows.  It was then accessible to cygwin under /cygdrive/f.

I don't know what the "invalid request code" means or where it came from
but given what you described, that should have worked.  Perhaps there's
something incorrectly configured on your server.

>File and directory meta data was all correct in Windows Explorer.  In cygwin, file meta data was OK, but directories were all dated 1 Jan 1970 and had a very large size listed in "ls -l".  This was good enough for compilation though.

Interesting.  So this seems to indicate that the problem is closer to the
Mac than VPC.  Could be.  I just tried the same thing going directly from
my PC (not virtual) to Linux and I see no problem.

>Because of these issues, my preferred solution would be to use Shared Folders -- if it worked, it'd be a lot simpler than Samba -- no separate server and configuration to worry about.  I might try following up the issue with MS VPC support in the newsgroup and then possibly through their email or phone support (although it seems I might have to give them a credit card number first! :<).

Could be. ;-)

>I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above Samba issues though.
>
>Also -- if there aren't any VPC-on-Mac users on this list, are there any VPC-on-PC users?  Would VPC-on-PC have related issues, or is this problem just due to the VM additions implementation of access to the Mac file system?

Dunno.  I'm sure if anyone here knows, they'll chime in.

Holliston, MA 01746