Possible to create an X application not linked to cygwin1.dll?

Greetings,

I have ported an X application to cygwin/gcc.   It runs well under
the X server xwin.

When I compile, I link up with libX11.

Then I end up my app being linked to cygwin1.dll since libX11
depends on cygwin1.dll.

I need to distribute this application, but I cannot make it open
source.  Those I distribute it to would download cygwin and use xwin.

I'm under the impression I cannot do this due to my app -> libX11 -> cygwin1.dll.
Is that correct?

I notice that only the X11 lib has this dependency (not Xm or Xpm).

I have tried using the -mno_cygwin flag to gcc to compile the app,
but this still ends up with the X11 -> cygwin1.dll dependency.

Is there any way to compile an app that needs X11 and not be linked
to cygwin1.dll?  Is there another X11 available, for instance?

thanks!
tim