- Steve

   Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:48:16 -0400
   From: Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>
	   autolearn=ham version=3.0.2

   Steve,

   On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:12:56PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
   > On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:54:37PM -0400, Steve Ward wrote:
   > > Can you try my failing experiment (symlink bar.py to file foo.py in
   > > same directory)?
   >
   > I was able reproduce your problem on my way out of work today.
   >
   > > It seems using a different name for the symlink may cause the
   > > trouble... I have no idea why.
   >
   > Can you strace the issue and report back to the list?  If not, then I
   > will try when I'm back at work on Monday.

   AFAICT, symlinking bar.py to foo.py never worked or at least since
   case-insensitive file system support was added to Python in 2/2001:

       http://www.amk.ca/python/2.1/index.html#SECTION0001000000000000000000

   The problem is Cygwin specific code is invoked during imports to make
   sure one imports a module using the same case as the file stored in the
   file system.  For example, "foo" will match "foo.py" but not "FoO.py",
   etc.  When you import bar (i.e., bar.py) which is symlinked to foo.py
   the case checking code fails (because "bar" != "foo") and the module is
   skipped.

   You can workaround the problem by defining PYTHONCASEOK:

       $ PYTHONCASEOK= python -c 'import bar'
       $

   I will work with the Python developers to try to come up with a better
   long term solution.

   Jason