Re: does not work : change /cygdrive to /

BD> My guess would be that you're doing the same thing as the poster in this
BD> thread: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-04/msg00353.html>.

OK, here's what I find in that message:

| On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:
| > So, you're changing the system-wide cygdrive prefix but since you have a
| > user-defined cygdrive prefix it is taking precedent.  I believe this was
| > a recent change which is why you are seeing it now.
|
| and Pavel Toskov said:
|
| PT> Yes! There was a change in October 2004 which allowed the system prefix to
| PT> be used no matter that a user prefix was specified. This is not the
| PT> expected behaviour and it was changed in Cygwin 1.5.14 to work as it used
| PT> to be in the past.

<annoyed> Excuse me Brian, but this was not user error; the system
behavior changed from one version to the next -- and then was changed
back.  And this is the precise issue that pushed me to join the list.

I was more than torqued when my home directory abruptly changed from
/pjh to /cygdrive/c/pjh, while a c:/bin directory -- which had
predated cygwin, and in which I put non-unix-ish tools -- changed to
/cygdrive/c/bin

Nothing quite like having my mountpoints and paths inexplicably change
from one upgrade to the next, with /cygdrive suddenly appearing from
nowhere, breaking my nice, comfortable useful setup that had been
running smoothly for the last six years.

I can see where it's convenient to have user mount points versus
system mount points, but it's unexpected, and the mount doc does a
lousy job of clarifying the distinction, and doesn't define the system
behavior at all.
</annoyed>

<accolades> On the other hand, my setup *has* been running smoothly
and usefully for the last six years with only minor issues as cygwin
has matured; for me, working in Windows would have been untenable
without cygwin. </accolades>

In any case, I'd found and modified the registry asymmetry between
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS by the time I'd waded through all
the back archives without finding the source of the problem:

	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
	"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
	"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022
versus:

	[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
	"cygdrive prefix"="/"
	"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

--
Patricia J. Hawkins