Re: does not work : change /cygdrive to /

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:01:44PM -0400, Patricia J. Hawkins wrote:
>BD> My guess would be that you're doing the same thing as the poster in this
>BD> thread: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-04/msg00353.html>.
>
>OK, here's what I find in that message:
>
>| On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:
>| > So, you're changing the system-wide cygdrive prefix but since you have a
>| > user-defined cygdrive prefix it is taking precedent.  I believe this was
>| > a recent change which is why you are seeing it now.
>|
>| and Pavel Toskov said:
>|
>| PT> Yes! There was a change in October 2004 which allowed the system prefix to
>| PT> be used no matter that a user prefix was specified. This is not the
>| PT> expected behaviour and it was changed in Cygwin 1.5.14 to work as it used
>| PT> to be in the past.

There is nothing like that in that message.  You apparently ignored the
part that would actually have helped you, went on to read the rest of
the thread when reinforced Brian's advice and then ignored the advice.

><annoyed> Excuse me Brian, but this was not user error; the system
>behavior changed from one version to the next -- and then was changed
>back.  And this is the precise issue that pushed me to join the list.

I have no idea why you would be annoyed at someone's attempt to help,
especially when they weren't even trying to help you.

Just to clarify: There was a *bug* which was *fixed* in 1.5.14.  The
*bug* was that the user mount of /cygdrive was ignored.

>Nothing quite like having my mountpoints and paths inexplicably change
>from one upgrade to the next, with /cygdrive suddenly appearing from
>nowhere, breaking my nice, comfortable useful setup that had been
>running smoothly for the last six years.

There's nothing quite like indignant email from users who don't really
quite understand what is going on but nonetheless feel obliged to bite
the hand that is trying to help.

>In any case, I'd found and modified the registry asymmetry between
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS by the time I'd waded through all
>the back archives without finding the source of the problem:
>
>	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
>	"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
>	"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022
>versus:
>
>	[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
>	"cygdrive prefix"="/"
>	"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

In any case, if you had actually *read* and *followed* the instructions
pointed in the page pointed to by the URL above, i.e.,

*>If you want to get rid of the user cygdrive, do "umount -uc" and then
*>set the desired cygdrive prefix system-wide with "mount -sc /".

you would probably have been all set without the need to muck around in
the registry.

cgf