RE: Updated: inetutils-1.3.2-29

----Original Message----

  Umm, no, I was (and still am) under the impression that I need a cygwin
assignment on file for contributions to the dll.  I hadn't actually
considered what the case was for setup, although the phrase "As per
cygwin1.dll:" (apps/setup/README) was somewhat suggestive.  The terms for
accepting contributions for both setup and newlib seem somewhat
under-documented, or at least I couldn't find them explicitly stated
anywhere.

  In fact, http://cygwin.com/contrib.html says

"This document deals with contributions to the Cygwin DLL and
Cygwin-specific utilitites. "

... and then goes on to say ...

"If your change is going to be a significant one in terms of the size of
your code changes, be aware that you will have to sign over the copyright
ownership of your code changes to Red Hat or the FSF (depending on the
source file) before we can include your changes in the main source tree.
Your employer may also have to send us a disclaimer stating that they have
no claims to your contribution. This is necessary for liability reasons. "

... which could be taken as including setup and the other cygwin-apps stuff.

  One thing I *did* want was to get the employer disclaimer on file, since
that's what gives redhat the protection it needs to be able to safely
continue backing open source projects, and it's what keeps the redhat legal
team happy and able to tell management that they're not being exposed to any
liability or risk.  And that's regardless of any kind of copyright
assignment, because that's what guarantees redhat that the copyright is
indeed mine to assign.

    cheers,
      DaveK