Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.5.15-1

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
> available for download.  As usual, a list of what has changed is below.
>
> To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
> the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
> system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
>
> If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
> mailing list at: cygwin <at> cygwin.com .
>
>               *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
>
> If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
> at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
> Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:
>
> cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com <at> cygwin.com
>
> If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

> Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
> starting at this URL.
>
> Christopher Faylor
> TimeSys, Inc.
>
> Changes since 1.5.14-1:
>
> corinna: Revamp process token handling to allow fast privilege switching.
>
> corinna: Fix ctime handling.
>
> cgf: Fix problem which caused cygwin not to dereference symlinks in the
> middle of a path in some cases.
>
> cgf: Clean up and simplify cygwin's lock handling.
>
> cgf: Fix crashes on startup that some users experienced.
>
> cgf: Make sure that nonexistent host names, services, and other network
> entities are correctly identified as such.
>
> corinna: Implement true (optional) syslog handling.
>
> corinna: Handle case when unix socket type doesn't match requested socket
> type.
>
> corinna: (Hopefully) Fix multiple race conditions in cygserver.
>
> phumblet: Fix setuid returning -1 when supplementary group list contains
> duplicate entries.
>
> dave.korn: Fix incorrect parsing of "n" (as NaN) in *scanf().
>
> brian.dessent: Fix cygcheck so that it will not report on files in the
> PATH twice when "." is in the path.
>
> phumblet/corinna: Change initgroups/getgroups to create correct list of
> supplementary groups for changing user context
>
> corinna: Revert to "Bypass traverse checking" by default"
>
> cgf: Always run destructors on process exit.  Don't rely on atexit for
> this.

After installing the latest cygwin-1.5.15-1, I restarted the computer for it to
take effect. Since then, I could no longer shutdown the machine with the cygwin
shutdown.exe as follows:

tsfu@ITO2 ~
$ shutdown.exe now
WARNING!!! System is going down NOW
shutdown: Couldn't shutdown: A required privilege is not held by the client.

tsfu@ITO2 ~
$ uname
CYGWIN_NT-5.1

tsfu@ITO2 ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 ITO2 1.5.15(0.127/4/2) 2005-04-18 12:20 i686 unknown unknown Cygwi

root@Zeus ~
$ shutdown.exe now
WARNING!!! System is going down NOW
shutdown: Couldn't shutdown: A required privilege is not held by the client.

root@Zeus ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.2 Zeus 1.5.15(0.127/4/2) 2005-04-18 12:20 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

shutdown no longer works for both Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jason