Re: findutils still broken

> Dave Korn wrote:
>

> >   Presumably the reason that this behaviour is new is that there used to be
> > a bug that stopped it even attempting to recurse those dirs, because nothing
> > with '*' in it could ever be a valid filename.
> >

> >     cheers,
> >       DaveK
>

> So there where does the problem lie? Is it that cygwin doesn't support
> "*" as a file name? Or is it a limitation of Windows that is inherited
> by Cygwin? IIRC "*" is a perfectly valid Posix file name and I can
> create it on any other Posix compliant platform by simply running "touch
> \*".

Dave was guilty of spreading misinformation in this case.  Yes, filenames ON DISK have windows limitations against '*' in them, but /proc/registry is a virtual file system that is not on disk, but which maps to registry key entries.  Also, cygwin provided managed mount points so that even with disk files, it is possible for cygwin to provide the illusion of allowing '*' in filenames.

$ mount -m |grep managed
mount -f -u -b -o managed "C:/cygwin/home/eblake/managed" "/home/eblake/managed"
$ cd managed
$ touch \*
$ ls
*

The problem lies somewhere else, and not in the spelling of the names of the directory entries in /proc/registry.  See my previous post - it is perfectly legal for you to do this in cygwin:

$ cd /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/\*

since HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT really does have a registry key named "*".

--
Eric Blake