RE: findutils still broken

>   Well, that was my next step, but I'm off home for the evening.
>
> dk@mace /artimi> cd /proc/registry
> dk@mace /proc/registry> cd HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT> cd \*
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*> ls
> AlwaysShowExt  InfoTip  OpenWithList  QuickTip  TileInfo  shellex
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*> cd InfoTip
> bash: cd: InfoTip: Not a directory
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*> cd QuickTip
> bash: cd: QuickTip: Not a directory
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*>
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*> cd ..
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT> cd .386/
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.386> cd [TAB-TAB]
> @                  PerceivedType      PersistentHandler
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.386> cd PersistentHandler/
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.386/PersistentHandler> ls
> @
> dk@mace /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.386/PersistentHandler> cat @
> {098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} dk@mace
> /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/
>
>   It does look as if there's a dll bug preventing it from changing into
> subdirs when there's an asterisk in the path.  Dunno why it doesn't go on to
> iterate the rest of the /proc tree, although if you try "find /proc -xdev"
> it does enumerate more of the top-level.

Works for me:
$ cd /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/\*
$ ls -F
AlwaysShowExt  InfoTip  shellex/
$ cat InfoTip
prop:Type;Author;Title;Subject;Comment;Size
$ cd shellex
$ /bin/pwd
/proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex

The problem in your demo is that not all registry entries are keys - some (including hkcr/*/InfoTip) are values.  In /proc/registry, registry keys map to directories, registry values map to files, and the contents of the values are found by reading the files.

--
Eric Blake