Syslogd hangs on start

Hello,

I'm trying to start the cygwin syslog daemon.  I set it up using
syslogd-config, then try and start it with either "net start" or
"cygrunsrv -S".  The service never fully starts.  The return of both
commands states that the service could not be started.

It does however hang in start up mode.  When I reboot it takes nearly a
minute to bring up my desktop after I login.

The only way I can remove the service is to manually edit the registry
(cygrunsrv -R syslogd doesn't work).

I tried changing the service to run under my domain account instead of
the SYSTEM account without any change.

Below is the output I get when trying to start the service.  Thanks for
any suggestions.

Lloyd

$ syslogd-config
Overwrite existing /etc/syslog.conf file? (yes/no) yes Creating default
/etc/syslog.conf file

Warning: The following function requires administrator privileges!

Do you want to install syslogd as service?
(Say "no" if it's already installed as service) (yes/no) yes

The service has been installed under LocalSystem account.
To start the service, call `net start syslogd' or `cygrunsrv -S
syslogd'.

Check /etc/syslog.conf first, if it suits your needs.

Keep in mind that any file mentioned in /etc/syslog.conf must exist and
be readable and writable for the SYSTEM account.
Oh and, use tabs, not spaces in /etc/syslog.conf...

Configuration finished. Have fun!

$ cygrunsrv -Q syslogd
Service syslogd exists
Type                : Own Process
Current State       : Stopped
Controls Accepted   :

$ net start syslogd
The CYGWIN syslogd service is starting........
The CYGWIN syslogd service could not be started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3523.

The service is now hung in startup.  I can't stop it or remove it.

$ net stop syslogd
The service could not be controlled in its present state.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2189.

$ net helpmsg 2189

The service could not be controlled in its present state.

EXPLANATION

The service is not currently accepting requests. If the service is
starting, it cannot process requests until it is fully started.

ACTION

Try the operation again in a minute or two.

If this problem persists, the service may be stuck in a partially
running state.
 Contact technical support. Be prepared to give the name of the service
and othe r information about the system, such as the services and
applications that were running, and the type and amount of network
activity on the computer at the  <<cygcheck.out>> time  of the problem.