Telnet and rlogin gives "Unknown service"

I had an old version of Cygwin/Xfree86 installed for about two years and no
problems.  Telnet, ftp, rlogin and remote display of X windows working OK.
I did not really use cygwin for the last months but yesterday when I tried
to use these programs I got:

Telnet xxx
telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service

Rlogin xxx
rlogin: login/tcp: unknown service.

Ping xxx
icmp: unknown protocol

xxx is located on intranet so I'm not passing any firewalls.  Yesterday I
decided to erase the old version of Cygwin and install the latest version
of Cygwin/X.  Same problem.  I think I downloaded all needed files.  I
searched the FAQs, the mailing list and Google for this problem, no result.
Telnet, ping, mail and Internet works OK from Windows and I am using the
Cygwin versions of Telnet and ping.

Since, as far as I know, I did not change anything important on this
machine, perhaps those IT people remotely did some kind of upgrade. There
is a new program called "ePolicy" that I did not install. Unfortunately,
asking the IT people about Cygwin will only tell me: "That is unsupported
software".

PC is a Dell laptop with Windows 2000 and SP4. Filesystem is FAT32 so I
suppose there are no problems with permisions.

CONFIDENTIALITE : Ce message et les éventuelles pièces attachées sont
confidentiels. Si vous n'êtes pas dans la liste des destinataires, veuillez
informer l'expéditeur immédiatement et ne pas divulguer le contenu à une
tierce personne, ne pas l'utiliser pour quelque raison que ce soit, ne pas
stocker ou copier l'information qu'il contient sur un quelconque support.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and
may be privileged. If  you are not a named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.