Using shutdown-1.6-1 does not seem to shutdown!!!

I have tried shutdown-1.6-1. Now it seems to work in the sense that

   shutdown now
   shutdown 5
    ...     30
    etc.

starts the procedure of shutdown, i.e. disconnets the user, saves the
configuration... . When it seems it is being to turn off the PC, Windows
says (in low resoultion)

    Now it is possible to turn off the computer

and I must press the switch off button more than five seconds to turn off
the PC! (Until now I never used this method to switch off the PC.)
(reboot works as the name says: reboot!)

If this is the correct behaviour of shutdown 1.6-1, it would not be good.

It would have lost its utility.

For example, I often start the PC to make a long work at the end of which
the computer should turn off without my presence (in the night,often).

With this shutdown-1.6-1, this is not more possible.

shutdown-1.4-1 and cygwin (until) 1.5.12-1 give no problems!
(With 1.5.13 and 1.5.14 I have not tried)

My system is

   Win 2000 SP4
   cygwin 1.5.15-1

I have tried as Administrator (of the group Administrators) and as user
(of the group Users) with the some results.

angelo.

angelo.graziosi@roma1.infn.it