Trouble starting 'wmaker' on fresh 'cygwin' installation

All -

I just (Friday-20050423) downloaded and installed a set of Cygwin files into
a freshly laundered Win2k PC. Installation went fine, but when I use 'xinit'
to start 'wmaker' from my '.xinitrc' I see:

 1) normal-looking startup of X11, except for some missing fonts,
 2) normal-looking screen with Xterm awaiting window manager to start, then
 3) log reports detection of a second window manager running and the session
is closed.

If my '.xinitrc' instead starts 'mwm' or 'fvwm2', there is no such problem.

Before calling 'xinit', neither 'ps -a' nor the Win2k task manager show any
X-related task running. Starting an X11 app from the Win2k start panel fails
due to absent server (as I would expect). If I start 'wmaker' from the
cygwin shell, it fails on a missing display (as I would expect).

Earlier that week I installed a cygwin fileset that did not show this
behavior.

Any diagnoses?

TIA.

 - John Mills