RE: Wrong PATH and other env after starting bash

----Original Message----

  David, please read http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PCYMTNQREAIYR, thanks!

  #1.  Your groups file is *definitely* messed up.  It might be interesting
to take a quick look through it and see in what exact way it's messed up, or
you might just want to regenerate it - "mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group".  Is it
possible you installed cygwin when you were logged in as a local machine
user, and are now trying to run when logged in as a domain user?

  #2.  The NX stuff doesn't look too bad, it's mostly just a few extra
mountpoints, but there's one strange thing in the mount table:

C:\Documents and Settings\stein\.nx\tmp                         /tmp
user    textmode

  It's a bad idea to redefine something as system-wide as /tmp just for the
benefit of your own application.  If the perms on that dir are funny, a lot
of things could go wrong.  I'd want to have it unmounted, myself:  "umount
/tmp"

  NX Client, whatever it is, appears to have its own version of X installed.
Potentially that could cause problems, but it seems to be keeping out of the
way for the moment, since it's not in your PATH, and since you don't have
the cygwin-x installed, I don't think it's likely to be causing any trouble
right now.

  #3.  If after the above it still isn't working, it would be worth trying a
reinstall.  I think that's as simple as running setup.exe, step through the
pages without changing anything until you get to the package-chooser screen,
then click on the word 'install' next to the "all" package category until it
cycles round to "reinstall" and off you go.  Doing that will ensure that any
broken dependencies from your first attempt get resolved, if that's the
source of the problem.

    cheers,
      DaveK