RE: beginner's questions

----Original Message----

  To find if any cygwin package contains a particular program, go to

http://cygwin.com/packages

and enter the program name into the search function.  I don't know what
"whereis" and "urpmi" are, but the zsh package seems to contain functions by
those names, so maybe you need to install and run zsh?

> 2) No login is required before connection. Am i root
> by default?

  As long as you have setup your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files by running
mkgroup and mkpasswd, you will be logged in as whatever windows username you
logged into windows with.  If that user has admin rights, you will be
effectively root in cygwin.

> If there is a tutorial answering this kind of
> questions please let me know.

  You should certainly read all the documentation there is:

http://cygwin.com/docs.html

  In particular the user guide is very helpful, even though it's not exactly
a tutorial.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/

    cheers,
      DaveK