From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian@dessent.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:38 PM
To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: Problem with 'cvs login'

"Rancier, Jeff" wrote:

> That resolved that issue, as far as I can tell, now I'm getting the
> following:
>
> $ cvs -d :pserver:jrancier@jrancier:/usr/local/cvsroot login Logging
> in to :pserver:jrancier@jrancier:2401/usr/local/cvsroot
> CVS password:
> cvs login: authorization failed: server jrancier rejected access to
> /usr/local/cvsroot for user jrancier
>
> I did a chmod 777 on /usr/local/cvsroot, stopped and started xinetd,
> but still get the same.  Any other suggestions?

Did you create the password file /usr/local/cvsroot/CVSROOT/passwd and allow
access for 'jrancier'?

By the way, you don't have to go through all the trouble of setting up
pserver if you just want a local CVS repository.  Just set $CVSROOT and use
normal cvs commands, and it will access the files locally.  pserver is
fairly insecure and if you plan to access it remotely you should use the
"CVS_RSH=ssh" access method instead.  About the only thing pserver is useful
for is if you want a publicly available anonymous read-only repository.  My
apologies if you knew this already.

Brian