RE: Problem with 'cvs login'

Although I still can't login with my login (I found an old .cvspass for
which I knew the password).  BTW can someone point me a utility to create
one which will work for CVS.  When I try to change my passwd for bash, via
passwd, it declares I'm not a valid user, although I'm in /etc/passwd).  I
removed the SYSTEMROOT entry from the passenv line in my
/etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver, recycled xinetd, and attempted an anonymous login
and it failed as before.  Changed it back, and it worked.  Here's the
screenshot:

,----
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ ps -ef
|      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
| jrancier    1388       1 con  19:53:15 /usr/bin/bash
| jrancier    1768    1388 con  19:53:52 /usr/bin/ps
|
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ /usr/local/bin/xinetd.start
|
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@jrancier:/usr/local/cvsroot login
| Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@jrancier:2401/usr/local/cvsroot
| CVS password:
| cvs [login aborted]: reading from server: Software caused connection abort
|
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ ps -ef
|      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
| jrancier    1388       1 con  19:53:15 /usr/bin/bash
|   SYSTEM     988       1   ?  19:53:59 /usr/sbin/xinetd
| jrancier    1628    1388 con  19:54:59 /usr/bin/ps
|
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ kill 988
|
| jrancier@jrancier ~
| $ /usr/local/bin/xinetd.start