Re: Problem with 'cvs login'

Brian Dessent wrote:
[snip]
> If you are providing write (commit) access then you should not use
> pserver, it sends passwords in plaintext.  Use ssh.  It's even simpler
> to setup because sshd uses the built in windows user accounts, whereas
> CVS pserver requires you to maintain a seperate set of accounts.

Nope.  The use of CVS's password file is optional, you can even have some users
with regular accounts and some without, but if you want to give read only access
you must define that in CVS's password.

> I think you're confusing the two passwd files.  One is /etc/passwd which
> is created by the Cygwin command mkpassd, and should be created
> automatically when you first log on after installing Cygwin. This is the
> standard unix passwd file and is used by many commands.

Including cvs under any UNIX implementation; I use it under Solaris and Linux.

> The CVS passwd file is $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/passwd and is a completely
> different file, with a different format, that is only used by CVS.  You
> must create and maintain this file yourself.  Section 2.9.4.1 of the CVS
> manual tells you all about this.

Each repository can have its own users.

But the point is: is Cygwin's port of CVS different than the regular CVS we use
under UNIX?  The difference being that under Cygwin you must create your own
repository password file (I use cvsadmin, a separate program, to do that BTW).
--
René Berber