Re: G77 160 MB memory allocation limit

Dave Korn wrote:
From: Impagnatiello Fabrizio
Sent: 27 April 2005 16:20
Starting from 1.5.13 (14 and 15 subversions are the same) I experienced
all FOTRAN written programs using large arrays to crash.

No error message, just exit.

After investigation (WEB/mailing list) and testing programs I discovered
and verified that a new near 160 MByte allocation limit is induced by
cygwin1.dll

Simple programs compiled with -mno-cygwin flag may allocate up to 1920
MByte.

With the old 1.5.12 the usable size (2BG RAM machine) was 1536 MByte.

Why ???

Nobody knows. Something changed. Perhaps in cygwin. Then again, have you also installed XP SP2 in the period since 1.5.12? That caused massive disturbances to process memory map space because M$ rebased all the dlls in the whole world.

I don't think XP SP2 is relevant, as I have this problem on Windows 2000.

It's interesting to have this pinned down to the transition from 1.5.12 to 1.5.13. I have half a mind (but only half) to try and verify this.

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz