Re: scp/ssh between two cygwin installations very slow

At 06:58 PM 4/25/2005, you wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Doh. I completely forgot that in my .ssh/config I had ssh call a script using the ProxyCommand. That command is a shell script that detects which network I am connected to (company or my own) and uses a tunneling ssh command to the destination if on the company network or a direct connection using "connect" if on my own network.
>>>
>>>The connect command is a fairly simple program that redirects stdin/stdout to a host:port. This way, I can either use a ssh to host:port if tunneling is required to connect to host:port if not.
>>>
>>>The problem is that cygwin has a very low throughput using the script with the connect command. I guess it could be related to the slow pipe problem mentioned earlier (but was supposedly fixed).
>>>
>>>I have tried without the ProxyCommand and the speed returned to an acceptable 1.5MBps.
>>>
>>>I hope Cygwin can be fixed so the speed returns to normal :-)
>>
>>Yep.  We'll get right on fixing that problem where fairly simple
>>programs which redirect stdin/stdout to a host:port cause reversions in
>>behavior of the "slow pipe" problem which was supposedly fixed.
>
>It was either that kind of reply or some other reply indicating what additional info is required. Obviously I would submit the required information, but I don't know what would be relevant.
>
>Anyway, here is the link to connect.c:
>
>http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html
>
>And just create script like ssh-connect.sh:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>connect $1 $2
>
>And in .ssh/config add the script to a destination:
>
>ProxyCommand ssh-connect.sh %h %p
>

>scp'in from the host which is reached through connect has its speed severely reduced.
>
>It may be the problem with connect itself, but I am not sure how to test that.

Seems like something is going on with the compiled version of connect that
you pointed to.  If I try what you mentioned above with the precompiled
version, it is dreadfully slow for me as well (at least several orders of
magnitude slower).  Building a local one from source with Cygwin was allot
better, though still slower than without it (by 4 to 5 times).  You might
want to try a local build if you need to rely on connect.  It's allot better
than the alternative.

Holliston, MA 01746