can't access Serial Ports

Hi,

I just recently installed cygwin on my WinXP box here at work.  I am trying to
migrate my Perl scripts over to the cygwin environment.

But now I can not access my Serial Ports thru cygwin.  for instance, when I
tried installing a serial port device module for perl, the make file died with
the following error:

     could not open port '/dev/ttyS1'.  Are permissions correct?

i went to look in my root cygwin directory, and i dont even have a /dev
directory.  all of my websearches on this subject finds info that assumes my
/dev/ttyS<x> is available.

does cygwin normally not install a /dev directory?  do i need to create this
manually?  I am not sure what to do here, and this is a major stumbling block.
Much of my work involves testing serial ports, modems, etc.

For the record, all of these still work in the Win32 environment, just not in
cygwin.

Many thanks,

Robert.