Re: can't access Serial Ports

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, rwj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just recently installed cygwin on my WinXP box here at work.  I am
> trying to migrate my Perl scripts over to the cygwin environment.
>
> But now I can not access my Serial Ports thru cygwin.  for instance,
> when I tried installing a serial port device module for perl, the make
> file died with the following error:
>
>      could not open port '/dev/ttyS1'.  Are permissions correct?
>
> i went to look in my root cygwin directory, and i dont even have a /dev
> directory.  all of my websearches on this subject finds info that
> assumes my /dev/ttyS<x> is available.

/dev is currently a virtual directory in Cygwin.  Try "ls -l /dev/ttyS1"
-- you should get a listing.  If you want Tab-completion, or if you want
"find /" to look at the devices in /dev, you can create the /dev directory
and even populate it with dummy (and real) directory entries -- see
<http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html> for a script
to do this.  Otherwise, don't bother.

> does cygwin normally not install a /dev directory?  do i need to create
> this manually?  I am not sure what to do here, and this is a major
> stumbling block. Much of my work involves testing serial ports, modems,
> etc.

Are you sure you're trying to open the right serial port?  /dev/ttyS1
corresponds to COM2 in Windows.  If you want COM1, you need /dev/ttyS0.

> For the record, all of these still work in the Win32 environment, just
> not in cygwin.

"All of these" means "serial ports", I presume.  What did you use to test
them?
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT