Re: can't access Serial Ports

Hi Igor, thank you for the quick reply!

Igor wrote:
> /dev is currently a virtual directory in Cygwin.  Try "ls -l /dev/ttyS1"
> -- you should get a listing.

ah hah.  yep they're there.

> Are you sure you're trying to open the right serial port?  /dev/ttyS1
> corresponds to COM2 in Windows.  If you want COM1, you need /dev/ttyS0.

jeez.  yep, i forgot about that, and it just so happens that I have COM1,3,4,5
but not COM2.  so of course /dev/ttyS1 failed (which was the test's default).

That solved the most glaring problem.  thank you very much.

> "All of these" means "serial ports", I presume.  What did you use to test
> them?

I was just rebuilding Perl for cygwin, and replacing Win32 modules with *nix
counterparts.  For the serialport module, the "make test" was failing.  but now
that i know which port is which, it passes.   :P

one final question, if i may...  while running the Makefile for the perl
serialPort module, i received some warnings:

checking serial control via ioctl... no
WARNING: Without ioctl support, most serial control functions are missing
checking read/write of RTS signal... no
WARNING: You will not be able to check or change the RTS line
checking read/write of DTR signal... no
WARNING: You will not be able to check or change the DTR line
checking read access to buffer status... no
WARNING: You will not be able to check the serial buffer state
checking read access to serial line status... no
WARNING: You will not be able to check serial line status

while the basic make test now passes, these items above are important for me to
have.  do you know why these arent being found?

thank you again,

robert