Re: sshd and /usr/bin/zsh

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your responses. Here is some more information.

Peter A. Castro wrote:
 From the bash shell, did you just run zsh as a subshell or did you try
running it as a login shell (eg: zsh -l)?

I tried both. They both work. It seems that the hang only occurs if zsh is the main login shell. I did discover that if I run

ssh kingb@localhost /bin/zsh -l

then it hangs even if the passwd entry is set to bash. However if I set the passwd entry to zsh and run

ssh kingb@localhost /bin/bash -l

I still get the hang. I also discovered that if I set Administrator's passwd entry to zsh then I CAN login via ssh as administrator and get a zsh prompt. The "kingb" user is not an administrator or a power user. I checked the permissions of all zsh package files and the .dll files that get loaded and the user has read and execute permission where needed.

 As another experiment, could
you enable the rlogin service ('login' in /etc/inetd.conf) and then start
inetd and try using rlogin to see if zsh hangs there as well?  You'll
need to install the inetutils package, run 'inetd --install-as-service',
then 'net start inetd', then try rlogin from another machine.  I'd like
to narrow it down to either a problem with ssh interaction or

After installing the service I get this message when I try to start it:

The service is not responding to the control function.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

I tried manually starting the service through Computer Management but I got a similar error. Since the problem still occurs from the system-owned shell I'm guessing it is not an ssh interaction problem, though.

> perhaps a
problem with the system/user profiles in /etc/z* or your local .z*
profiles.

I tried moving these all out of the way but it did not change anything. If I run

ssh kingb@localhost /bin/zsh -l -v

then I see the contents of the ~/.zshenv, /etc/zprofile and ~/.zprofile files before the hang but it doesn't seem to actually have processed the commands (because adding a "touch ${HOME/foo.txt" command does not create the file).

I'll see if I can reproduce your setup, though I only have W2K and not XP
(well, that's not quite true... I *could* setup an XP instance, but I
probably *won't* :).  Is there anything special with your sshd setup?
Did you customize anything?  Is the service run under 'SYSTEM' or under
your userid?

I just confirmed that the cygwin sshd service is running as the local SYSTEM user.

Wait... your using a domain account aren't you?  Hmm... That might
complicate things.  Are you logging in to your domain account via ssh or
into a local machine account?

No, those domain accounts are left from when the machine used to be on a domain. The user with this problem is just a local machine account.

-Brad