Re: mkstemp bug

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:19:56AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Gary R. Van Sickle <t.e.inafvpxyr@jbeyqarg.ngg.arg> [2005-04-28 21:01:07 -0500]:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> inform me
>>> how, exactly?
>>>
>>> I did not just tell you that they are broken.
>>> I also gave you a test case for FIFOs:
>>>>>>
>>>Try
>>> mkfifo foo
>>> xterm -e 'tty >> foo; cat foo'
>>> (now foo can be used by other tty application to communicate with the
>>> user via the dedicated xterm - works in linux but not cygwin).
>>>>>>
>>> I think such a test case is useful for development and debugging.
>>
>> Dude, you are just *asking* for one heck of a zinger!
>
><http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/netdict?zinger>
>Sorry, I am not sure I understand what you mean.
>(PS it may be because English is not my native language...)

It's nothing to worry about.  Gary spends a lot of time second guessing
people, assuming that he knows what is going to happen, and sometimes
even takes credit for people's behavior.  He likes to inject personal
attacks and observations into technical discussions.

So, he was assuming that a message that you sent at 9AM EDT on Thursday
was going to see some sort of harsh response more than twelve hours
later.

If you've read this list for any length of time you'll note that Gary
rarely offers anything of merit to a discussion.  He usually wanders
in hours after a discussion has wound down and either offers duplicate
advice or uses the discussion as a platform for an ad hominem innuendo.
That is not to say that he doesn't occasionally have a good idea.  Who
can forget "Cyppy", after all?

cgf