Re: one Cygwin file

Lucas Raab wrote:

> Are there any distributions of Cygwin with only one setup file containing all of
> the packages?? Sorry if this sounds newbie-ish, but Google isn't getting me
> anywhere. I'm a dial-up user and would rather use a download manager than stay
> online for days.

I'm not aware of any such thing, and I doubt it exists.  "Everything"
would come to more than 1GB for just binaries, and about 2.5GB for all
binaries and source.  Some filesystems can't even cope with a file that
large.

You don't have to use setup.exe to download, though.  The packages are
just regular files that are available via ftp, http, or rsync from a
number of mirror sites.  You can download them using whatever method you
want, just keep the same directory structure as they are on the mirror
site.  Then run setup and choose "install from local directory."  To
determine which packages you need, consult the setup.ini file or the
cygwin web site.  The minimum you will need is everything in category
"base".

Not too long ago there was someone that was offering DVD-Rs containing
all packages for minimal cost.  I'm not sure if that's still happening,
as I haven't seen anything on the topic for a while.

Brian