Re: PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT different for cygwin v.s. linux.

On Jun 9, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:29:46PM -0700, Peter Rehley wrote:
On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Thomas E. Zerucha wrote:

I have a problem similar to that of:

I have an old system that I'm trying to port that uses pthreads, but
doesn't set the attribute, and a non-owner thread will destroy the
thread in a deallocate routine, but this won't happen (it won't
actually destroy the thread).

The problem is that (in pthread.h) PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT is .._NORMAL
on linux, the system was originally written for.  It works but
eventually dies when it runs out of threads or mutexes or something
since it can't recycle.  PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT is .._ERRORCHECK on

It would be painful to add a whole section to create an attribute
structure just to set this to be the same as linux.

If you look at the test case you will see a line that says mutex=PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;

This causes the program to use the default (ERRORCHECK) mutex.  To get
a normal mutex, you can use mutex=PTHREAD_NORMAL_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP;

However, in the test case when NORMAL is used, the mutex never gets
unlocked because the signal SIG_CHLD doesn't get to the parent.

FWIW, I've changed the default for PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER to PTHREAD_NORMAL_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP in CVS. Last night I also tried to implement handling for interrupting mutexes based on Corinna's explanation of what your patch did.

Both of these changes are in the current snapshot.
And the pthread_mutex_lock is still waiting forever...doesn't process the signal. Looking at the code I think that the pthread_mutex::_lock function should be using the cancelable_wait routine in place of the WaitForSingleObject.

A Møøse once bit my sister

-- Unsubscribe info: Problem reports: Documentation: FAQ: