Re: ssh problems

On Jul 17, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 08:58 PM 7/17/2005, Eli wrote:
> >
> >When I try that (after shutting down the existing sshd with
> >cygrunsrv -E) I get errors when trying to access private key files
> >in /etc.  How do I make them accessible to my user?  Maybe there is
> >some simple way to make it so that sshd always runs as me instead
> >of the system thing?  I don't mind making it a one person service
> >since this is used only by my script for our nighly builds (and at
> >this point I'll go with anything that works...).
>
> OK.  So try this:
>
> cygrunsrv --stop sshd
> cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -u eli -w "<your password>" -e "CYGWIN=tty notraverse"
>
> <your password> is the password you use for user 'eli'.

Is it saving the password in a not-too-obvious way?

> [...]
> You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:
>
> chown eli /etc/ssh*
> chown eli /var/log/sshd.log
>
> Then start the service:
>
> cygrunsrv --start sshd
>
> With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself
> but it should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge
> (and test) though. ;-)

I followed all this, and ended up with:

  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
  The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Following the advice at
I added my username to "Local Security Settings/User Rights
Assignment/Log on as a service".  After that I got a

  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

and now I can't even stop or remove it -- in both cases I get

  $ cygrunsrv --remove sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error removing a service: ControlService:  Win32 error 1061:
  The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

> Actually, the strong preference is that you *attach* this
> information, not append it.

(The "attach it as a straight text file" is confusing -- sounds like a
textual attachement, which is identical in some mailers to appending
the text.)

> You are apparently setting CYGWIN in your local user environment.
> You'd want to set in it you system environment or use the method I
> showed above to set it for just this service.

I did do it in the "system variables" part of the environment
dialog...