Re: mysql client 4.1.13

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> Has anyone compiled it under cygwin enabling named pipes for NT?

Sure, but not with named pipes, no.  Gerrit's patches are in the ML
archive.  I have found that the 4.1 server doesn't quite work, 5.x
server does work but will not shut down.  Performance will be horrid
compared to a native build though.

If you build mysql under Cygwin you will have the choice of using a TCP
socket or a Unix domain socket (/var/run/mysql.sock).  This is not the
same as a win32 named pipe, which is what would be used if you compile
it native.  Cygwin has its own implementation of Unix sockets, and while
the two are similar in concept they are very different in practise.  So
I don't think it's possible to use them interchangably.

What it boils down to is if server and client are both Cygwin, then you
can use Unix sockets; if both are win32 then you can use named pipes,
but if you mix any of the two you have to use a TCP socket.

> If not, is anyone interested in this battle of header files?

I don't see what header files have to do with the issue?

Brian