Re: Timezone names

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On 8/4/05, Cliff Hones wrote:
>
>>I was curious as to why, under Cygwin, the default UK timezone
>>names (eg as displayed by "date") are different from the standard
>>names.  [Standard UK names are GMT and BST, while Cygwin displays
>>GMTST and GMTDT.]  So I did some source digging.  Forgive me if the
>>following info is already readily available - but I couldn't find
>>it.  Note that the Cygwin FAQ admits to being out of date:
>>   http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC85
>
> Thanks, Cliff! Do you mind if I use this for the new FAQ text?

Not at all, but the registry fiddling may not be advisable to
mention, and I'd prefer to be more definite about the effect of
explicitly setting TZ, but I didn't have time to look into the
"posixrules" stuff.  [Cygwin has a small file called, if I remember
correctly, posixrules.c, which consists of the precompiled TZ data
recorded as a hex vector.  I've no idea how it's used or if it's
up to date.  Is this documented anywhere - does cgf or Corinna
possibly know?]

-- Cliff