Re: setup.exe filename

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> I like typing start->run http://cygwin.com/setup.exe, as I am sure most of
> us do. But it would be a "best" practice to name the installer, something
> descriptive, like cygwin-2.457.2.2.exe.

I do not like the idea of adding the version to the name of the file.
To a naive user it would reinforce the incorrect idea that the version
of setup has anything whatsoever to do with the version of Cygwin and
other packages that they are installing.  We already get too many of
those on the mailing list as it is.

A user might see "setup-1.2.3" and then later see "setup-1.3.4" and
think, "oh look it's a newer version of Cygwin."  Or, they would look at
the version of setup.exe and not bother taking any action if it's the
same as the one they already have, even though dozens of packages may
have been updated meanwhile.

Quite frankly the version of setup.exe is next to irrelevent as long as
it's somewhat recent, barring any specific bug that the user might be
running into.  And the setup.ini is versioned so that if you try to use
an older setup.exe than what is current you will get a warning.

As far as renaming it to something like "cygwin-setup.exe" or
"cygsetup.exe" or whatever, I'm neutral.  I do think it's unfortunate
that it has always been named a generic word, but I think changing it
now would cause more confusion than good.

Brian