Re: problem while connecting GDB to an ARM board

At 04:05 AM 8/8/2005, you wrote:
>Larry Hall wrote:
>
>>At 10:43 AM 8/4/2005, you wrote:
>>

>>>I used to use linux to compile code for my ARM based board but I needed windows and cygwin 1.5.8 to connect to the platform and debug via the ARM Multi-ICE Server and the Multi-ICE gdb Server.
>>>I now have to stop using linux so, I installed the GNUARM Tool Chain for Cygwin. That Tool Chain needs 1.5.18 version of cygwin1.dll to work because it needs the _impure_ptr procedure.
>>>

>>_impure_ptr has been a part of Cygwin symbols for a long time now.  This is not new with 1.5.18.  Perhaps you meant some specific element referenced through _impure_ptr?  In any case, 1.5.18 is the version this list recommends you run with when using Cygwin.
>>

>>>I thaught it was right but I can not connect to the platform anymore and get "putpkt: write failed: Software caused connection abort" error on trying to connect.
>>>

>>This is really a better question for the GNUARM folks.  I'm not sure there
>>are allot of GNUARM Tool Chain users subscribed to this list.
>>

>Do that means that the errors "putpkt: write failed: Software caused
>connection abort" or "the procedure entry point _impure_ptr could not be
>located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll" are due to ARMGNU?
>I don't thik so!

OK, I see I was unclear.  This list provides help to those who are using
the Cygwin DLL or one of it's distributed packages as installed by
"setup.exe" from one of the advertised (<http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>)
mirror sites.  Discussion of other installations, configurations, or
third-party packages are considered off-topic here.  I didn't just dream
this rule up.  It's stated as part of the charter of the "cygwin" list
found at <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  So the fact that you're asking
a question about GNUARM here really makes the question off-topic.  That's
why I was gently prodding you to what would hopefully be a better source of
information on this topic.   Not that you might not find the answer to your
question from someone on this list or in it's archives.  It's just that
given the list's scope, this is less likely.

As to your specific points above, you would only be getting complaints
about _impure_ptr if you have another, ancient cygwin1.dll loaded and/or
on your disk somewhere.  The 'putpkt' seems to be a 'gdb' issue.  You
might have some luck looking at the GDB site <http://sourceware.org/gdb/>
too.

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746