RE: OpenLDAP NT Service

> > However, when I start the service from either the services
> console or with:
> >
> > # cygrunsrv --start slapd
> >
> > It will start and then stop after about 5 seconds. When
> checking the
> > Application event log, I found this:
> >
> > "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( slapd ) cannot be
> > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> > information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> > computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
> retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.
> > The following information is part of the event: slapd : PID
> 2888 : slapd stopped.."
> >
> > However, if I manually start it by using the following:
> >
> > # /usr/sbin/slpad -h ldaps:///
> >
> > It works fine. Anyone know the reson why it fails? Is there anyway
> > that it can be run from the init scripts?

Install the sysV init package and install that to run as a service. That
way you can run all your cygwin daemons as you would under *nix, using
init scripts.
(You may have to write an init script of course as a lot of cygwin server
programs expect to be run via cygrunserv not under init.)
For slapd try this as /etc/rc.d/init.d/slapd
----------------start-------------
#!/bin/bash
#
# Init file for slapd ldap server
#
# chkconfig: 345 35 65
#
# processname: slapd
# config: /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
# pidfile: /var/run/slapd.pid

# source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# pull in sysconfig settings
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/slapd ] && . /etc/sysconfig/slapd

RETVAL=0
prog="slapd"
SLAPD=/usr/sbin/slapd
PID_FILE=/var/openldap/run/slapd.pid
OPTIONS=""
# Some functions to make the below more readable

start()
{
        echo -n $"Starting $prog:"
        daemon $SLAPD $OPTIONS && success || failure
        RETVAL=$?
        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/slapd
        echo
}

stop()
{
        echo -n $"Stopping $prog:"
        killproc $SLAPD -TERM
        RETVAL=$?
        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/slapd
        echo
}

reload()
{
        echo -n $"Reloading $prog:"
        killproc $SLAPD -HUP
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
}

case "$1" in
        start)
                start
                ;;
        stop)
                stop
                ;;
        restart)
                stop
                start
                ;;
        reload)
                reload
                ;;
        status)
                status $SLAPD
                RETVAL=$?
                ;;
        *)
                echo $"Usage: $0
{start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart|status}"
                RETVAL=1
esac
exit $RETVAL
(taken from some linux distro or the slapd tarball, I forget which)

Vince