Re: OT: Krazy USB Kameras (RE: Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix)

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

[snip]

NOTE: A digital camera shows up as an USB drive, i.e. a DOS drive -> e.g. /cygdrive/<next free letter> - and is available so long as the camera stays ON (it eventually WILL go OFF after last use, just as your screen blanker! Depending on how you've set it or use it.)

A USB Mass Storage Device that does this is poorly designed at best, and probably not compliant with the USB specification. I can't recall a situation where a device is allowed to just "disappear" once plugged in and enumerated without the user doing something (a bus-powered device anyway). You should see if there is a firmware upgrade available for it.

Then again, I know firsthand that Microsoft had USB Mass Storage pretty
wildly wrong as late as the release of XP SP...2 I think, maybe 1, so who
knows, could be MS's fault.

Most cameras have an auto-off function to preserve battery power. I do not think any of them are actually usb powered when plugged in. I know that mine will NOT function without charged batteries in it even when plugged into a port. I suppose that if a camera has the means to turn off the auto-shutoff function then it will not disappear until the batteries fail, whereupon it will act like any other externally powered USB device and become unaccessable. I believe that some cameras come with an external power adapter that will provide continuous power.