Re: Diff and grep problems

[Ugh - top-posting.  Reformatted]

>> This is not cygwin specific.  Read up on 'info diff' - the -X option is a
>> file listing patterns of FILENAMES to ignore when diffing directories,
>> not
>> LINES to ignore within file pairs being diffed.  Try -I instead.

According to Adrian Marsh on 8/25/2005 6:40 AM:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I'd already "man diff" and it doesn't read like it
> applies only to files, but info tells me more :

Like I said, 'info diff' is more informative than 'man diff', for a
reason.  The GNU project prefers info to man documentation.

>> `-I REGEXP'
>> `--ignore-matching-lines=REGEXP'
>>      Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match REGEXP.
>>      *Note Specified Lines::.
>

> However - this is a *changed* line, not an insert/delete so I don't
> think it will work.

Have you actually tried it?  A changed line is a combination
insert/delete, so it does work.

$ cat > 1
$ cat > 2
bb
$ diff 1 2
2c2
< b
- ---
> bb
$ diff -Ib 1 2
$

Any more non-cygwin specific questions on this topic are better asked on a
newsgroup related to using unix utilities.

>  So my best guess is that I have to pre-grep the
> files involved.  However this brings me onto the second problem, where
> grep seems to have the same issue  (unless -f in grep ALSO only filters
> filenames..)
> But when I try this same thing in cygwins version of grep, it fails
> (note the manual grep is ok).
>
>> C:\backups\__cisco_backups>cat c.txt
>> ntp
>>
>> C:\backups\__cisco_backups>c:\cygwin\bin\grep -f c.txt a.txt
>>
>> C:\backups\__cisco_backups>c:\cygwin\bin\grep ntp a.txt
>> ntp clock-period 17179955
>> ntp source Vlan135
>> ntp server 135.86.68.147

I'm guessing you have line-ending problems.  And to make this email
cygwin-specific, why aren't you using a Unix shell (bash, ksh, ...)
instead of Windows .bat files?  Also, check whether you are using binary
mount points.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net