Re: cygwins setup hangs in installation

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> The point of postinstall scripts is that sh.exe runs something else.  sh
> will show up as no activity, because it is waiting on the child process,
> which IS doing something.

But to my opinion in my special case some routine invoked during
postinstall (or the invocation of child child processes) REALLY does
nothing, because i waited a very, very .. very long time for the
postinstallation to complete, which doesn't. So there must be something
going wrong.

> If you abort postinstall scripts, then your
> installation WILL be broken.  You can check /etc/postinstall/, and see
> what scripts have not yet run (suffix of .sh instead of .sh.done).  You
> probably also want to rerun setup.exe, and let the postinstall scripts
> have a chance to run for a while longer before claiming they have hung.
>
> Your bigger problem is that you have a third-party conflict.  Only one
> version of cygwin1.dll is found on your path (good), and it looks like
> q:\progs.win\cygwin\bin is your cygwin version which is masking c:\bin.
> However, your setup will have problems if the wrong version of these
> programs is being invoked.

I'll try to remove the conflicts and see, if this is the solution.