Re: A problem while using urllib

On Oct 12 09:57, Steve Holden wrote:
> I realized after this post that WingIDE doesn't run under Cygwin, so I
> modified the code further to raise an error and give us a proper
> traceback. I also tested the program under the standard Windows 2.4.1
> release, where it didn't fail, so I conclude you have unearthed a Cygwin
> socket bug. Here's the traceback:
>
> End process http://www.holdenweb.com/contact.html
> Start process http://freshmeat.net/releases/192449
> Error: IOError while parsing http://freshmeat.net/releases/192449
>    Message: <urlopen error (120, 'Operation already in progress')>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Spider_bug.py", line 225, in ?
>     spider.run()
>   File "Spider_bug.py", line 143, in run
>     self.grabUrl(tempUrl)
>   File "Spider_bug.py", line 166, in grabUrl
>     webPage = urllib2.urlopen(url).read()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 130, in urlopen
>     return _opener.open(url, data)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 358, in open
>     response = self._open(req, data)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 376, in _open
>     '_open', req)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 337, in _call_chain
>     result = func(*args)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 1021, in http_open
>     return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 996, in do_open
>     raise URLError(err)
> urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (120, 'Operation already in progress')>
>
> Looking at that part of the course of urrllib2 we see:
>
>         headers["Connection"] = "close"
>         try:
>             h.request(req.get_method(), req.get_selector(), req.data,
> headers)
>             r = h.getresponse()
>         except socket.error, err: # XXX what error?
>             raise URLError(err)
>
> So my conclusion is that there's something in the Cygwin socket module
> that causes problems not seen under other platforms.
>
> I couldn't find any obviously-related error in the Python bug tracker,
> and I have copied this message to the Cygwin list in case someone there
> knows what the problem is.
>
> Before making any kind of bug submission you should really see if you
> can build a program shorter that the existing 220+ lines to demonstrate
> the bug, but it does look to me like your program should work (as indeed
> it does on other platforms).

Talking about a testcase, if you want to submit a bug report, could
you please apply a simple, self-contained, OOTB testcase, written in
plain C, which shows what's going on?  I just see an EINPROGRESS error
message above and I don't speak Python.  If this is something Cygwin
induced, then I see only two potential problems, both in connect().
Either a connect is called twice on a blocking socket, or a connection
fails and the error code is wrong for some reason.  A simple testcase
would help enormously.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.