Re: 1.5.18: ld command generates stackdump

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:39:13PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>"Peter J. Stieber" wrote:
>
>> Sorry in advance for the stupid questions, but...
>>
>> I downloaded the binutils source package, and extracted the source. When
>> I ran
>>
>> ./configure --help
>>
>> I didn't see a --enable-debug option or anything I though was
>> equivalent. Am I missing something?
>
>Normally, auto-tooled packages like binutils have a default value for
>CFLAGS that is typically "-g -O2" which means you get the debug
>information.  When creating binary packages for distribution the
>binaries are typically stripped later.
>
>This is just a long-winded way of saying that if you build with the
>default configure options you should get debug information, and if not
>use a CFLAGS override when calling configure.
>
>> Do I also need to build a debug version of the cygwin DLL?
>
>It would help, since otherwise backtraces will only have raw addresses.
>Note that the cygwin configure script[*] has a --enable-debugging
>switch, but this is for enabling lots of runtime consistency checks and
>extra verbosity -- it is not meant for enabling debug symbols, which you
>should get by default.

Is this dying in the cygwin DLL?  I suspect that it isn't.  The stackdump
file would show if it is, as would using CYGWIN error_start setting that
I mentioned previously.

I don't think there's any reason to build a debugging version of cygwin
unless the problem points to the cygwin DLL.

cgf