Re: Installer bug with symlinks

Joe Krahn wrote:
The installer can make a directory for new files even if there is already an existing directory symlink of the same name.

I discovered the problem when upgrading where I had a custom X11 build. I moved /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.dist, and made the symlink /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/X11R6.build. When updating some packages with files in /usr/X11R6, I ended up with new files installed in /usr/X11R6 while the symlink name of the same name still existed.

This is a known problem. 'setup.exe' doesn't grok symlinks that are like Windows shortcuts. This is the default for Cygwin symlink creation now. But if you want to use the style of symlink that 'setup.exe' does understand, set 'nowinsymlinks' in your CYGWIN environment variable. This will make your symlinks in the "old style" format which 'setup.exe' understands.

Holliston, MA 01746