RE: Old versions of setup.exe

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

Peter A. Castro wrote:

Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
(at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
number from it.

Well, ...

dk@espanola /tmp> strings setup.exe | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3
2.521
dk@espanola /tmp>

Hmmm... that doesn't seem to work for me on linux.... :( And, it doesn't work for me on Cygwin either?! This is what I get:

% strings -a w:/webserver/ftp/pub/cygwin/setup.exe | grep -i setup
     name="RedHat.Cygwin.Setup"

This is the latest setup.exe from the cygwin website too.  I'm at a loss
as to why it works for you and not me.

... will work on every version as far back as
2000-09-07  DJ Delorie  <dj@redhat>

	* splash.cc: use version.h, not local decl
	* res.rc: add "old version" message
	* resource.h: ditto
	* version.h: new
	* fromcwd.cc (canonicalize_version): make global
	* iniparse.y: add setup-version support, fix bug in blank line
	handling

	* inilex.l: add [exp] as alias for [test], add setup-version
	* Makefile.in (version.c): add setup-version tag

	* desktop.cc (do_desktop): remove 1.1 version number
	(do_desktop_setup): ditto

* ini.cc (do_ini): zero out package list just in case we redo it.

   cheers,
     DaveK

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood