RE: Proper distribution of cygwin-dependent software.

I agree that there's no easy, straightforward way to do this.  Consider that there might be four kinds of people who want to use my software:

1. Those who already have Cygwin installed. The installer should not touch their installation.

2. Those who already have Cygwin installed, but are missing some packages (e.g. libfreetype). The installer should add these missing packages (either from the Web, or bundled with the CDROM).

3. Those who don't have Cygwin installed, but might want to start using it later. We must install a base Cygwin setup, but something functional, so that they can add packages to it later.

4. Those who don't have Cygwin installed, don't know what Cygwin is, and will probably never use it. It might be acceptable to just install the Cygwin DLL's for these folks, but you never know if they might decide to use Cygwin in the future... In which case we are better off installing a base Cygwin setup, like we do for the people in group 3.

> I hope that all this is in the scope of the license.

Ehh... I'm pretty sure that all you need to do is make available your package's source tarball, along with the source tarballs of the cygwin packages used.  For distributing on CD-Rom, you can throw the tarballs into a "src" directory.  For distribute via the Web, the easiest thing to do is have the source tarballs (for your project and cygwin packages) downloadable from your website. But I hope this doesn't turn into a licensing discussion...

Thank You
Will