Re: /dev/console : permission denied

Dave Korn wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 02:24:53PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

Christopher McIntosh wrote:

Consequently, I am back to the issue which I was first
reporting/investigating: Why does init report open(/dev/console) :
permission denied.

strace might be able to tell you that.

SUMMARY: 1.  'cygcheck -s -v -r' causes an error when executed within a
Cygwin shell (bash, sh, etc.); but is successful when executed within a
CMD shell.

Did you try removing 'tty' from $CYGWIN yet?

I don't know about the cygcheck error but the /dev/console problem sounds like cygwin working as designed. From the description, it sounds like expected behavior to me. Something is trying open "/dev/console" when there is no console and is getting an error.

Well, duh.

cgf

Oh, you can't open it when there's not one bound? Fair enough.

  Must be syslogd then.  Chris M, did you run the syslogd-config script or
install it manually?

Service             : syslogd
Display name        : CYGWIN syslogd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/syslogd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/syslogd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/syslogd.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : LocalSystem

  Hmm, looks right though.  (Interestingly enough both the config script and
the cygwin-specific readme refer to an apparantly-bogus "-a" flag.  I'm on
1.3.2-29.)  Perhaps it's one of the destinations in syslog.conf that is the
source of the problem then.  What's your syslog.conf look like?

cheers, DaveK

I should point out that said error occurs when init starts.. But not as a result of anything else.. So could this instead be an issue with init? (I can replicate this problem, using syslogd-config and init-config to install the services, and starting them in that order).

Chris

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world