Re: mmap() on 64K aligned address fails

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
[snip]
> No wonder, it's still based on crappy tests.  The attached configure
> script is a good example of making bold assumptions which match a couple
> of systems but the programmer didn't bother to verify the correctness of
> the code.
>
> Note: If the code works on most major Unixy systems, it isn't necessarily
> correct.

I agree.

The sad thing is that not one function in all the libraries that come with the
gcc tree uses the MAP_FIXED flag, only a few of the tests use it.  So we end up
with bad tools (gcj-dbtool for instance core dumps because its badly implemented
for the case where it assumes there is no mmap) or crippled libraries.

Those bad assumptions are hurting their own software.
--
René Berber