Re: setup/symlinks/gcc/chown question

Hi All...

It appears to be file permissions related. The link being broken looks like it is because the read only bit on the shortcut file (the .lnk file) is getting turned off. Even though this first getfacl shows write access, the read only box in the windows properties is checked. after the chown -h the windows properties box says not a valid link. After the chmod -R 755, the windows properties shows it as a valid shortcut, but the read only box is unchecked. After a chmod -R 555, the read only box is checked and Cygwin thinks it is a symlink again.

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ getfacl cc1.exe.lnk
# file: cc1.exe.lnk
# owner: administrator
# group: Users
user::---
group::---
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ chown -h administrators.none cc1.exe

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ getfacl cc1.exe.lnk
# file: cc1.exe.lnk
# owner: Administrators
# group: None
user::---
group::---
mask:rwx
other:---

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ ls -al cc1.exe.lnk
----------  1 Administrators None 547 Dec 18 15:17 cc1.exe.lnk

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ chmod -R 755 cc1.exe.lnk

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ getfacl cc1.exe.lnk
# file: cc1.exe.lnk
# owner: Administrators
# group: None
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ ls -al cc1.exe.lnk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 Administrators None 547 Dec 18 15:17 cc1.exe.lnk

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ chmod -R 555 cc1.exe.lnk

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ getfacl cc1.exe.lnk
# file: cc1.exe.lnk
# owner: administrator
# group: Users
user::---
group::---
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ ls -al cc1.exe
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Administrators None 34 Dec 18 15:17 cc1.exe -> ../../i686-pc-cygwi
n/3.4.4/cc1.exe

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ chmod -R 755 cc1.exe

administrator@Coyote /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
$ getfacl cc1.exe.lnk
# file: cc1.exe.lnk
# owner: administrator
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:root:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x

Thanks,

...Karl

From: Corinna Vinschen Subject: Re: setup/symlinks/gcc/chown question
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:20:27 +0100

On Dec 18 09:56, Karl M wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I just installed gcc/mingw with setup.
>
> If I do
>
> cd /lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4
> chown -R administrators.none *
>
> it breaks the symlinks in the directory.

I can't see any problem.  What does that mean "it breaks the symlinks"?
How do they look before, how afterwards?

Corinna

Red Hat