Re: [ADMINISTRIVIA] Please don't use 'cygwin at cygwin dot com' as an email address

Mea culpa...*irk*...it wasn't _intentional_...
It's a Tbird extension that's supposed to pick *my* address
out of headers that just put cygwin@cygwin.com on the From
addr instead of my domain.  *Irk*...Haven't seen that behavior
before.

I wouldn't have noticed it except that this time the email
bounced back -- which is good and what I'd hope for it to
do in such an absurd circumstance.  Going to have to go
through my sent emails to see what else might have been
munged...*going to give head good flush in toilet w/braino*...
*bubble bubble*
-linda

Dave Korn wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

The spam trap has caught a few attempts from people who are attempting
to use 'cygwin at cygwin dot com' (i.e., the actual email address) as
their "From: " email address. Please don't do that. It won't work.
This From: address has been used to send spam so its use as a From:
address has been blocked.

Not to mention that forging an email address that you have no authority or permission from the relevant domain owner to use is a ToS breach at pretty much every ISP under the sun and arguably even a criminal offence in some jurisdictions.

 And it's network abuse.  Don't do it.  If you want to use a munged address,
either 1) use a made-up address at a domain that you own or have the explicit
permission of the owner to use 2) append ".invalid" or otherwise use a pretend
domain name that cannot possibly exist 3) use a throwaway hotmail or
mailinator account or 4) consult the address-munging FAQ for further
explanations information and advice.

   cheers,
     DaveK

PS: TINLC!