Re: ssh starting problems.

JC Oosthuizen <jc.oosthuizen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a problem with starting sshd on a Windows 2003 Server machine.
> After I installed the service and I try to start it it gives the
> following error:
> Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>
> I searched the archives and found that the policy might be wrong and
> checked that the user that will run sshd have the Logon as Service
> permission. But this was not the problem as the user already had that
> permission.
>
> I tried to run sshd from the command line and that worked fine so I
> assume there is no problem with sshd installation itself but with the
> cygrunsrv config.
>
> Attached is the output from cygcheck.
>
> Any help will be apreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Attachment (cygcheck.out): application/octet-stream, 29 KiB

Did you use /usr/bin/ssh-host-config to set up sshd on the Win 2003 server?
Currently I am running sshd on two such servers and set them up using the
script. The script should detect that you are using Win 2003 and will ask if
you want it to create a "sshd_server" user account and assign the privileges it
needs under Local Security Policy to run properly. The sshd service should then
be run under this account.

Although it's possible to set up/install sshd manually with cygrunsrv, IMHO the
script is just simpler.

Cheers,

Herman