1.5.19-3 parent socket binding remains after closing when spawning child process

Well, this is a strange one.
I open a socket in a parent process, bind it and
listen.
I set the socket to close-on-exec with the FD_CLOEXEC
flag.
A child process is spawned, which doesn't inherit the
socket.
I then close the server socket in the parent process.
For a laugh, I attempt to connect to the port
associated with the server socket.  I would expect
this connection request to fail, since I just closed
the socket.  It doesn't.

The attached test case illustrates this.
Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Martin