cygwin.bat improvements (was Re: Cygwin on XP disapearing terminal mystery)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> ericblake@comcast.net (Eric Blake) writes:
>
> > If you expect help, then try opening a plain cmd.com window
> > first, running bash there and seeing if any error messages
> > appear.  Also, send, as a text attachment, the output of
> > 'cygcheck -svr'.
>
> When trying the cmd shell approach it became apparent that bash had
> disappeared off the system.... thanks.

Since this seems to come up every so often, what if we made a couple of
small changes to cygwin.bat to aid in debugging this?  Specifically, I
was thinking that cygwin.bat could create a marker file (say something
like ".uncleanstartup") in the same directory as the .bat file, and add
something to the base-files rc files that deletes this file at the end
of the startup procedure.  Then cygwin.bat can check for existence of
this marker after executing bash, and if found it can print a short
message and then run "pause" so that the user can see any error messages
on the screen.  The message could perhaps say a few words about PATH
settings or cygcheck and the mailing list, etc.

Brian