Re: mismatched dll

On Feb 2, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:

Bob Rossi wrote:

Here's another question I have (sorry). Why wouldn't it be acceptable to
have to (different version) cygwin1.dll's running on a single system?
That is, 2 completely different Cygwin environments? So, all programs
that link against the same cygwin1.dll are in one Cygwin environment. If
there is another version of the cygwin1.dll, and programs link against
it, they would be in another Cygwin environment, completely independent.

<snip>

If you are writing an installer of a third party application the basic logic should thus be:

Is a cygwin1.dll already on the system somewhere?
  Yes:
     Is it newer than mine?
        Yes: Install my .exe, but do not install my cygwin1.dll,
             use the existing one.
        No:  Prompt user of the situation, and either bail or
             overwrite older DLL with newer DLL.
  No:
     Install my DLL.

Essentially, you must ensure that if a Cygwin DLL already exists you
either use it as-is or replace it with a newer one.  Never install a
second copy, and never overwrite a newer one with an older verison.

Can we get this added to the faq? It sounds like there are several companies out there that install the cygwin1.dll without caring that it can cause problems. This would at least provide some information for those that read the faq.

Peter