Re: davfs for cygwin rsync?

<snip>

> Apparently not. According to the man page "Once installed, you can use
> rsync to any machine that you can access via remote shell. For remote
> transfers, rsync uses ssh for its communications."...

Yes, this is one way that rsync can communicate, in this mode, rsync
uses ssh to start a copy of itself on the target were both copies can
communicate with each other via their standard descriptors, which are
connected via ssh.  Alternately rsync can be run as a daemon on the
server and then rsync as a client can connect directly to this server.
Rsync can also run standalone, between directories on the same system,
like cp on steriods.

> I was hoping to find a commercial service for which I could use
> cygwin/rsync for daily backup. It is easy to find services for WebDAV
> -- but it is not clear that cygwin rsync can use WebDAV like linux
> rsync can. Can someone please clarify?

If you mount the WebDAV on the local host, so it appears as part of
the file system (which you previously described), you can run rsync in
'local' mode, it will think it is just copying within the same system.
I don't believe this is a good way to go, as rsync will not be smart
enough to optimize its accesses, and will likely generate lots of
extra traffic.

Are you using the right tool?  I too am researching this sort of setup,
I suspect there are better tools for backup to WebDAV.

> Are there commercial hosting services that provide ssh access?

Research, the venue is in a state of flux, growth and shake out.  You
*might* find www.strongspace.com suitable for your needs, I believe
they've restricted ssh to running rsync vs. general login, but this
should be fine.

> The man page as a section titled "STARTING AN RSYCN DAEMON TO ACCEPT
> CONNECTIONS". I'm confused: I thought I needed an ssh deamon.

No, this is for starting rsyncd, the daemon, see above.

Lastly, before warned that issues have been reported using rsync over
ssh in Cygwin, search the list for more details.

Brett